Purposes and Objectives
- The Authorities Group serves primarily as a forum for the exchange of experiences and expertise between national authorities and the Commission.
- The activities of the Authorities Group may encompass, in coordination with activities of other relevant expert groups, all issues relating to major accident prevention and response in offshore oil and gas operations within the Union, as well as beyond its borders, where appropriate.
- The Authorities Group discusses, assists and gives its opinions to the Commission, either at the Commission's request or on its own initiative, in particular on the following issues:
- identifying priorities for preparation of guidance documents, standards and best practices in the oil and gas sector;
- preparing, or initiating and overseeing the preparation of, guidelines on the industry best practices;
- in the interest of sharing experience, facilitating rapid information exchange between the Commission and national authorities, regarding e.g. the occurrence and causes of and responses to major incidents, and events which could have led to major accidents as well as, operational intelligence concerning drilling installations that intend to move between Member States;
- promoting and facilitating consensus between the Commission and national authorities regarding the best regulatory practice;
- promoting exchanges and secondment of staff between national authorities to increase their knowledge and experience;
- exchanging information regarding the application of national and Union legislation and policies relevant to offshore oil and gas activities, including measures to prevent intentional unlawful acts against those activities, and assisting the Commission in monitoring the implementation of relevant Union acquis.